Steelseries gaming gear

All bout hardware etc.
Rontti
Sky Marshall

Steelseries gaming gear

Post by Rontti » 16 Mar 2009 19:45

My old G7 mouse served me very well for many, many years, but after all the time under my sweating palm the surface of the mouse literally started to melt. While it was still working just fine, I bought myself a new mouse. Steelseries Ikari Laser. After a few weeks of using the mouse I figured I'd type some thoughts here.

This mouse is VEEERY good. Comfort, surface materials, buttons, all excellent. The sensor is right in the center of the mouse which at least for me is the optimal place for it. Accuracy and responsiveness, f'ing awesome. For the tru geeks there's an LCD display on the bottom of the mouse that can be used for configuring the two different DPI settings that can be switched on the fly with a press of a button. The settings and different DPI profiles can also be configured using a program on your PC, but the program, nor a driver is not needed for using the mouse and the settings. The only downside is, the mouse is difficult to lift if you're into that kind of thing. I have a habit of lifting the mouse and moving it to the center of my pad when Im not doing anything else and the Ikari mouse is difficult to lift. The surface is somewhat slippery and there isn't anything where I could get a good grip on for lifting it. And just for the record, I use an Icemat glass mousepad.

I also bought a Steelseries 7G keyboard, my old Logitech UltraX was so full of spe.. dust the keys started getting stuck. I really like the UltraX, its made like they make laptop keyboards, so the keyboard is really flat, but most of all, all the keys have really short travel and for some reason I like that. Okay, the 7G keyboard costs a fortune, so I was expecting something miraculous. However, it feels just like any 4€ keyboard out there. Sure, it has some hi tech buffer system that allows me to press all the keys on the keyboard and every single press gets recorded. It has an USB hub, headphone connectors and all the connectors are gold plated for optimal coolness, but its still just another keyboard. Ok, the keyboard is still supposed to last longer than me, but still, thas doesn't justify the 120€ pricetag on it. It also has one small modification to the standard keys. The backspace key is smaller than on standard keyboard and the key left of enter key has been moved two rows up next to backspace. This way the enter key is slightly bigger, while backspace is smaller. And that one key is in the wrong fucking place. WHY?

So, I recommend the mouse, but I don't understand the point in this keyboard. The feeling of the keys is good, its ok, but still, 120€. If the travel of the keys was like 1-2mm shorter, then maybe this keyboard would be better, but like this, it´s just like any other keyboard. It also makes a silly noise while typing.
"Rontti rakkauden työssä.." -Mr. Joni

Stormhold
Colonel
Eve-Online alias: Stormhold

Re: Steelseries gaming gear

Post by Stormhold » 16 Mar 2009 21:58

Logitech UltraX Premium is probably one of the best keyboards with the price to quality ratio, atleast if you like the flat keys.

For mouse I personally have Razer Deathadder. Beats cheap-o mouses easily, but it isn't all that special - atleast the thumb keys are placed far better than in the 8 euro mouse I bought along with my laptop to have a spare crap mouse. It wasn't that awfully expensive either though, so it hardly was a bad purchase.

Rontti
Sky Marshall

Post by Rontti » 17 Mar 2009 09:10

Stormhold wrote:Logitech UltraX Premium is probably one of the best keyboards with the price to quality ratio, atleast if you like the flat keys.
Only downside is, its not very durable. 1 year is max for that keyboard if it's even in semi-active use. Altho, it seems that the later models are getting better and better. The first one I got lasted only for a few months, while the later generations have been a lot better in that sense.
"Rontti rakkauden työssä.." -Mr. Joni

hezo
Forum Warrior
#IRC: Hezo
Battletag: Hezo#2525
Eve-Online alias: Hezos
WoT: Hezo
Steam: Hezo
GW2 Tag: hezo.3085

Post by hezo » 17 Mar 2009 09:48

I like my logitech illuminated keyboard....

plasmis
Postman (posts always twice)
#IRC: plasmis @ ircnet
Eve-Online alias: Eihok & Sinebrychoff
WoT: Plasmis
WoW alias: Paukku (?)
Origin: PlasmaPekka
xboxlive: PlasmaPekka
Steam: plasmis

Post by plasmis » 17 Mar 2009 12:57

Rontti wrote:Only downside is, its not very durable. 1 year is max for that keyboard if it's even in semi-active use.
I think it's time to stop eating those steroids, Rontti!

Unfamed
Lieutenant
Battletag: Unfa#2333
Eve-Online alias: Unfamed II
MWO tag: Unfamed
Steam: Беларусь бульдог
GW2 Tag: Unfamed.6327

Post by Unfamed » 17 Mar 2009 15:31

MS mukavuusmutka aka. comfort curve on palvellu hyvin useemman vuoden, monet juomat kaadettu ja laakit ammuttu näppikselle ja vielä toimii, vähän tahmea tosin.
Nappulat on hybridi flateista ja norminäppiksestä, eli siltä väliltä, kuitenkin vähän enemmän flattien suuntaan. Hintaa about 20e.
Joillekkin miinuspuolena vois mainita tän lievän mutkan tekevän näppäinasettelun, joka tosin on todella lievä, kannattaa käydä jossai liikkeessä kattomas ja hypistelemäs.

Editski: Steelseriesin joku laaserirotta 15min hypistelyn aikana onnistu vakuuttamaa jonku verran, nimi pääs unohtumaa ikävä kyllä. pätee varmaa sama ku näppixee eli kokeilemalla selvii aika paljon.
::Firefall: SanicDoctor::Tribes: Unfa::

mysy
Brigadier General
#IRC: mysy
Battletag: mysy#2829
Eve-Online alias: mysym
WoT: mysy
WoW alias: mysy
Steam: mysy

Post by mysy » 20 Mar 2009 08:57

Logitech ultraX keyb + mx1000 cordless mice here. Works like a charm if you're not planning on fps gaming. Of course you can point and shoot but at least I always think "what if I didn't have cordless mouse" when I do.

Both of these items are old mouse being around five years and keyboard at least three. Some of the key labels have been worn of and my h-key will detach itself from time to time. My mouse is quite hard to get to contact with charger but battery is still superb.

So no regrets about buying this kit when I did and I would happily use these for the rest of my life.

Stormhold
Colonel
Eve-Online alias: Stormhold

Post by Stormhold » 13 Apr 2009 02:25

Let's bump this.

I bought a Steelseries I-2 glass mouse pad as I lacked a proper one, was tempted to see if buying a really praised one would make any difference and knew it looks a lot cooler than random pieces of cloth. Well, yeah, after I placed the included mouse stickers on the bottom of my Razer Deathadder I really noticed the difference. It actually slides very smoothly and feels far better than the crappy mouse pads I've used before.

Is it worth 35 to 40 euros? I don't honestly know, but I don't regret buying one. It also looks and feels expensive! I honestly thought I'd never buy an expensive glass mouse pad when I first saw one in use years ago, but oh well...

plasmis

Post by plasmis » 13 Apr 2009 07:12

I have to say that in my experience the absolutely best mousepads of all time are the old allsop ones with the bubbles. Too bad they aren't as readily available anymore.

Hooker2
My first Sony

Post by Hooker2 » 18 Feb 2014 12:28

How i can set my SteelSeries siberia V2 large size headset its not working correctly.
Hooker Matt

Capu
The Holy Man of FinNexus
#IRC: Capu
Battletag: Belcapu#1343
Eve-Online alias: Capum Huolong,Alt Capu Huolong
WoT: Capum, Capumpum
WoW alias: Paksupepe, Belcapu
Origin: CapuMfi
xboxlive: caPUM
Steam: Capum
GW2 Tag: capu.1087

Post by Capu » 18 Feb 2014 19:35

Hooker2 wrote:How i can set my SteelSeries siberia V2 large size headset its not working correctly.
Set in on fire
"Miksi elää, jos Mononen hautaa halvalla!"

plasmis

Post by plasmis » 19 Feb 2014 07:17

Capu wrote:
Hooker2 wrote:How i can set my SteelSeries siberia V2 large size headset its not working correctly.
Set in on fire
And get that: http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k240_mkii.htm